2000 Ford Ranger Question

I am thinking about buying a 2000 Ford Ranger Pickup with 4 cylinder engine and automatic transmission with 102k which is supposedly a one owner and in very good condition. The photo looks great which proves nothing of course. Any known problems with the 2000 4 cylinder automatic transmission combo?? TIA

Reply to
woody

It's a good, solid small truck of a proven design. Performance with the

4-cyl/Auto trans is, IMHO, rather anemic. Your opinion may vary. The fuel mileage might not be as good as you would expect, It's like a Ford F-150 in a small package, it's geared to work not to commute. ;) The only issues I can think of are; It WILL need a timing belt NOW if it has never been replaced, and the rear brakes may be grabby or noisy in damp or humid weather. Neither issue will break the bank. The timing belt is a maintenance item at about 70K that usually gets overlooked, and the brake issue (if it is an issue on this particular truck)is solved by using a "softer" lining than OEM. By now the aftermarket linings should be correct and at 102K, it's probably had the rear brakes relined with the "better" shoes anyway. If you like it and the price is right for you, go for it. I doubt that you'll be disappointed.
Reply to
Tom Adkins

My neighbor had an older Ranger with the 2.3 engine with about 225K miles on and has owned it since about 50K miles. One day I casually asked him how many times the timing belt had been changed. He told me that it never had. By the look on my face, he could tell that I doubted him, but he swore up and down that it was the factory original.

Some people have better luck with stuff like that than I do.

Anyway, get the timing belt changed because it will leave you set when you need it the most.

Reply to
Kruse