2002 Ford Econoline van blowing out spart plugs?

Has anyone had any problem with a spark plug blowing out of the head on 2002 Ford Econoline can. This is a v8 and this morning we found it with a blown out sparkp[lug. The dealer says it requires a new head and maybe more once they tear it apart. It only has just over 100000 kms. on it. Jim

Reply to
Jim McCrory

Sad to say, this is a problem on the SOHC motors.... Ford does not condone the use of thread inserts (they can effectively change the heat range of the spark plug - yes, it happens.. if you need I can explain) and the dealer will want to replace the head to preserve the Ford backed warranty. I have heard that many independent shops have used thread inserts successfully. Bear in mind that I probably wont hear of any of these repairs going bad since no one wants to admit it.

If this were my truck, I would likely proceed with the thread insert but I would pay close attention for the first few thousand miles to any abnormal or unexpected noises/conditions.

Jim Warman

Got more hits when I spelled right. Might also see this

RWS