98 Sable - Better than OEM Struts

It's (far beyond) time to have the struts replaced on my 98 Sable GS. I've been driving a 2003 Taurus while my own car is in the shop and I can definitely tell a difference in both handling and ride quality. While the Taurus seems to handle large, harsh bumps better than my car (like bumpy entrances to parking lots and driveways, speed bumps, railroad tracks, etc...), mine definitely wins for overall smoothness of the ride under normal conditions -- perhaps because the struts are worn out.

But are there any struts available that would make the ride smoother than factory struts? Something as smooth as a Lincoln Town Car would be nice, but I imagine much of its smoothness comes from its sheer weight alone. I don't mind sacrificing a little maneuverability for ride comfort since I'm not trying to race. I tend to take it easy in my aged pride and joy.

Thanks, Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

Damaeus opined .

That's a very difficult question to answer ...MAINLY because the tire characteristics are a major factor in "ride quality".

I've tried both aftermarket and OEM replacements and the OEM versions equal the best of what I've seen from parts stores... probably my specific view.

So you COULD try the top-of-line Gabriel or Monroe and research various tire performance.

Good Luck...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

For "ride quality," I doubt that you will find any aftermarket replacements any better than OEM, if as good. For handling, there would be a number that are better, but generally at a sacrifice in ride quality.

Reply to
KokomoKid