Brake Problem

Hello,

I have owned a Ford Escort Wagon and now a Ford Taurus Wagon.

Here is the problem that I have:

Both vehicles when going down a steep type of mountain hill for about

10-20 minutes, the brakes would smell really bad and the I would not have good brakes. I pulled over for 5-10 minutes and it seems the brakes went back to normal. This happened with both cars. I use the brakes normally down the hill. I took it to a mechanic who told me that the brake fluid heats up and then when I wait for 5-10 minutes it cools down. Does anyone know what could be happening here?
Reply to
Hoopster

Your brakes are overheating. When you use your brakes, you convert the kinetic energy of the car's motion into heat. The heat builds up in the brakes. Use a lower gear. This will let the engine do the braking, so your brakes don't heat up as much.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff