Changing tierods on on '88 Ford Tempo

The passenger side tierod has developed serious looseness at the point with the tierod connects to the steering gear. the point where the tie rod connects to the steering knuckle is in good shape.

Is it possible to remove the tierod and put a new one on without dropping the entire steering gear?

Reply to
Ian

Most cars yes. You do need a tool for it, a tie rod removal tool. its like a very long socket. The toe adjustment will have to be set after the replacement. You might ask you favorite alignment shop how much they charge for the job, since you will have to take it there anyway.

Reply to
Scott M

Scott

I got it off, surprisingly easy. When I took the boot off though, a significant amount of oil came out (caught me by surprise).

WHen you put the boot back on should you fill it with grease?

Reply to
Ian

That oil you found is from your leaking stearing rack most likely. Put it back together (I suggest you buy a book), look for a ping in the new tie rod that "locks" the threads. You dont want it to come loose on you.....Check the fluid and watch it, the leak maybe small enough to not worry about for now, its probably just filling up the bellows that cover the tie rod.

Reply to
Scott M

Use power steering fluid with seal conditioner (also called leak stop) and there is a very good chance the leak will go away.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

That is what it was. I had a power steering fluid leak a couple of years ago and stop leak must have fixed it since I haven't noticed any changes in fluid level since.

I was surprise how easy the job was.

Thanks all for the comments and help.

Reply to
Ian