Charging for wheel weights?

One of the line items on my bill for new tires was a charge of $2.99 each for wheel balance weights. Never saw that before.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Toline

Eric Toline opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3254.bay.webtv.net:

common weights?!!!

Havent seen that for a while.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Sam Steele

Re: Charging for wheel weights? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Wed, Feb 2, 2005, 4:48pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@Yaywho.com (Backyard=A0Mechanic) Eric Toline opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3254.bay.webtv.net: One of the line items on my bill for new tires was a charge of $2.99 each for wheel balance weights. Never saw that before. Eric

common weights?!!!

Reply to
Eric Toline

is this charge for the weights only, or for actually balancing your wheels? i would suggest this is a fixed price for wheel balancing including the price of the weights, bear in mind wheel weights are made from lead, not the cheapest metal around. steve.

Reply to
anon

Re: Charging for wheel weights? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Feb 3, 2005, 1:24pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@whatever.com (anon)

is this charge for the weights only, or for actually balancing your wheels? i would suggest this is a fixed price for wheel balancing including the price of the weights, bear in mind wheel weights are made from lead, not the cheapest metal around. steve.

Reply to
Eric Toline

Might be a typo, like should be: 4-Wheel balance & weights @ $2.99 $11.96

Remember if you have any questions about a bill, you should ask the merchant, get a valid answer before you pay.

hth,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Looks to me they do not charge for installation and ballance, but charge a bit high on the weights. All in all, you did OK.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Shoot I spent over $600 on a set of new toyos for the Taurus wagon @$129 each. A rear tire went flat and shredded up on the highway. The next day we had a wake to attend the next day so I was a severely limited in my ability to shop around.

Reply to
sleepdog

Reply to
Sam Steele

Re: Charging for wheel weights? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Feb 4, 2005, 2:01pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Sam=A0Steele)

Your total install cost is $5 per tire which isn't bad, they just charge for it in a weird way. Does this include lifetime balancing?

Reply to
Eric Toline

Wheel weights cost money.... is this a surprise??? When I was self employed, I discovered that motorists though that wire was something I BOUGHT by the roll so I could GIVE IT AWAY by the foot. I can see the consumer point of view... after all, it's only a few cents...... but, the 300 people before you thought it was anly a few cents.

While many think that an auto repair facility may be a licence to print money. the truth is quite opposite. If you want to do a chapter 11 real quick, open a garage. If you are not sunning a "high end" facility, you will soon find that your customers are the enemy. Those expecting fine wine when they are only prepared to pay for draft beer.

Reply to
Jim Warman