Code P0401

The check engine light came on several weeks ago. I immediately took the car in and P0401 code came up (insufficient EGR flow). The DPFE checked out bad and a new one was ordered which took 3 weeks to get!!! Valve replaced but tech could not get the light to stay out. Same code kept coming back. I went on the internet and found that it could have plugged ports caused by carbon buildup. Also found the info on disconnecting the battery to recognize the new part.....The car was at the shop for a week. I picked it up Friday, drove out of the lot and the light came back on. Since the shop was closing as I left and it's a holiday weekend I stopped by an Autozone Saturday morning where they let me use the code reader thingy to be sure I didn't have ANOTHER problem and the same code comes up. Will the same code come up if the solenoid is bad? I need to get this car smogged within the next week and I need some help.

Reply to
Marie M via CarKB.com

Marie,

I am sure that the good folks on this newsgroup will help you out. But there are numerous different EGR hookups, and some maladies are specific to particular engines and model years. So please give us a bit more to chew on: what vehicle is it, year, mileage, engine size? Perhaps also some driveability problems that you observed. You know, the basics...

car in and P0401 code came up (insufficient EGR flow). ....

Reply to
Happy Traveler

lets start with make model year and engine

h u r c

a s t

Reply to
formoco

209.115.153.11 OrgName: TELUS Communications Inc. Address: #2600 4720 Kingsway Avenue City: Burnaby StateProv: BC PostalCode: V5N-4N2 Country: CA
Reply to
berkshire bill

The car with the Code P0401 is a 1996 Ford Taurus LX. Except for that darm "service engine soon" light, you would never know there was anything wrong with the car. I am sensitive to any new noise and in fact asked about a very intermittant noise I heard while I had it in for this problem. Turned out to be the water pump which itself may not have been bad but a bolt had sheared off and another was ready to go. The car just turned 84,ooo miles and I had hoped to drive it for many more years. If I can't get this problem solved, it's just junk.

Reply to
Marie M via CarKB.com

I'm sorry this is not all in one place, I'm new to this. The engine size on the 1996 Taurus LX is 3.0 (DOHC).

Reply to
Marie M via CarKB.com

I am wondering if that might be an emissions warranty type repair... Somewhere around 1996 they added a 100,000 miles / 10-yesr (I think) to the emissions systems and that code would come from enissions - have you checked with a dealer?

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

I checked with the local Ford dealer - on some models it became a warranty issue but according to him, not the Taurus. Thanks for the tip, though.

Reply to
Marie M via CarKB.com

Isn't that one of those things a loose gas cap can cause? Never had it happen, nor have I tried, but I have heard that.

-G

Reply to
George Csahanin