Escort 1990 Automatic Stalling (UK Model)

I just bought a very good looking 1990 Escort Automatic with 24000 miles on the clock despite being an H registration. The bodywork and interior matches the milage and the vehicle condition is very good. The MOTs all corroberate the mileage.

The car stalls after a few minutes and the idle speed is erratic. The car stalls often as the idle speed is usually too low. But sometimes the idle speed is ok and even a bit too high!?! I keep thinking that if I can turn up the idle speed then I can live with the occasional high revs if the low rev idle doesn't stall the engine. I tried this morning to do this but I don't know what I'm doing. Would it be a waste of time anyway?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this problem?

thanks

Richard

Reply to
Richard Fairbairn

Okay, well, what engine does it have? Is it a CVT unit?

Reply to
DervMan

This is generally a vacuum leak or the PCV valve is clogged. Also check that the carburettor mounting bolts are tightened to correct torque ( dont overtighten them or else you run the risk of breaking the insulator under the carb or- even worse- breaking the base of the carb or warping it) Also try carb cleaner on it - could be dirt in the unit. Failing all that get a decent carb kit and install it.

Reply to
Sean

Richard, Assuming that you have injection and NOT a carb, it sounds like an ideler senser has gone bad. I don't know that much about UK models but, that's where I would start.

D.

Reply to
none