ford escort cabriolet 1.8si 16v zetec

a few years back my rev counter sundenly jumped from 1000 to 1500/2000 i have tried everything to resolve the problem checked for leaks on air
system checked wiring changed idle speed control valve and still have the same problem if i balance the clutch & excel i can get the revs back to idlre at 1000 but as soon as i press ecel revs go straight back up any ideas thanks??

Throttle position sensor may be the problem
you pay..DEAL with it!
if i change the idle speed control valve or the throttle position sensor do i have to get the codes reset on the fault finder???

Shouldnt HAVE to, they'll stay but wont hurt anything. Just disconnect battery for 1/2 hour or so to have the system start from default and re- learn.
you pay..DEAL with it!

Or just run the car. In a few hundred miles, the check engine light should go out.
Jeff