Ford Truck Transmission question TIA

Ok here is the low down on the vehicle currently:

1978 Ford F 100 1972 Mustang 302 motor aka 5.0 V8 (installed and running fine) 1978 Ford 3 speed standard (manual shift) transmission (Working fine)

I want to swap out the 3 speed transmission to either a four speed or better (With gas prices a five speed would be sweet). But I have never done this kind of swap any ideas or thoughts would be very helpful and thank you in advance. As you can see above the motor (I am told is out of a Mach 1) is a vintage `72. The truck made a trip from NY to NC (roughly 564 miles) on $90 about a month ago! Laughablly the truck has manual brakes and steering, but a couple extra gears would be nice! :D Thanks again for any help.

Dark

Reply to
Dark Angel

This isnt a modder forum, but..

sign up for forums on:

ford-trucks.com

Also, as this is pretty cut/dried for 2 whl tranny swapout so.. rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

bet a few on there have done it..

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Sadly it wasn't me who did the swap out! I actually bought the thing like the way it is! Funny how some folks will spend time and money on a motor then cob the damn thing together and sell it off to some one else! Worse yet the truck used to belong to my G/f's cousin who from what I have been told was the original owner! It took a Recip saw to cut away the exhaust to remove the current tranny to swap in another clutch after it discard the one it made the 564 mile trip on. I could have only wished I had the donor parts at the time or she'd gotten a couple extra gears! Lord knows it could use a couple extra, even though milage wise for a full size truck it really isn't bad with the V8 but the missing 4X4 parts probably helps the milage aspect! Thanks again!!

Dark

Reply to
Dark Angel