Ford using Journey's "Any Way You Want It"

I hated that song when it came out--now hearing it three times in five minutes--including twice in the same commercial break--I have just two words for My Local Ford Dealer: Toyota Sienna.

Reply to
Sixsixsixtynine

Yeah, Toyota has the worst ads of any auto mfg... still, my fav ad of all time is one they had a few years ago for the Nissan Maxima. It showed the car just barrelling down the desert, to the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again". Right as Daltrey unleashes his scream, the car goes into this wild, slo-mo power slide (that Pontiac has imitated in every ad since this one). Awesome, awesome ad, I can't think of a single auto ad that actually made me want to buy the car besides this one! Consistently, though, I think VW has the best ads. They don't appeal to me personally, but VW definately knows who their market is.

Reply to
Rich

Using Journey is one thing. Remember the first Focus commercials? I swear people in advertising sit around all day around a huge bong, because at one point in the commercial for the Focus, a giant dancing bowling pin is seen, waving at young girls getting into their Focus. Why?

Reply to
Hagbard Celine

The problem is that GM doesn't have to pay for the rights to use that song. Seger gave them unlimited rights to use it, supposedly in an effort to help out Detroit's auto workers.

Reply to
The Ghost of General Lee

Rich opined

I definitely think "Drivers wanted" fits... Most Jetta owners drive like S*** and if they were car-savvy, they'd never buy another.

Hmmm most folks probably dont anyway. I've known several folks with Jettas and Passats and not one bought a second one.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote in

ROFL, I used to own a Jetta - leased it new in 1996. There is a VERY good reason none of us buy another - the electrical systems in VWs are total shit. I had that car into the dealer close to 15 times in the nearly 4 years I had it. I drove the last year with the 'check engine' light perpetually on, because I was sick of replacing O2 sensors. That car had problems ever since the battery just disintegrated all over the engine compartment, causing the replacement of all kinds of hoses and whoknowswhatelse. HORRIBLE car.

Reply to
Rich

My favorite was a Volkswagen Golf GTI commercial that used "Little GTO" and changed the title to "Kleiner GTI"--complete with "wuh-waa-waaa" 's and everything...

Reply to
Damon Scott Hynes

"Fast"? Did they supercharge the Marauder?

bw

Reply to
bdubya

Re: Ford using Journey's "Any Way You Want It" Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Aug 8, 2003, 5:02pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@babblefish.org (Ford=A0Prefect)

Seeing those commercials where the car is spinning out of control sure makes me want to buy one. NOT!!!

Reply to
Eric Toline

"Ford Prefect" wrote in

What are you talking about? The Maxima ad in question showed a power slide, and when Daltrey's scream finished the car stopped.

ROFL! I assume you're talking about the Marauder, in which case they should have borrowed Toyota's ad campaign for the Celica: "Looks Fast". Throw a supercharger in there and now we're talking, but it hardly comes from the factory that way.

Reply to
Rich

Anything that runs a quarter in the 15 second range while pushing 4000 pounds would be considered fast by my book.

Reply to
Dan Kemp

[Marauder]

Yeah, but it's a shame what the car COULD have been. Hell, *I* might have bought one.

Reply to
Rich