Frequent stops and starts...

Could someone please explain in the most simple of terms what negative effects frequently turning vehicles, specifically Crown Vics, on and off. I am a police officer, and my supervisor has ordered that anytime we are out of visual range of our vehicle, we must turn it off and secure it. In a twelve hour shift, this could result in an unbelieveable number of stops and starts. Certainly this would cause extreme wear on the alternator, electrical system, starter, and engine itself with respect to a lack of lubrication in the engine itself. I need a simple explanation though as he does not appear to be the most intellegent of individuals. Also please forward specs. or locations where I can get this vital information...

Thank you.

Reply to
Bryan

====================== Seams he doesnt want the car to get stolen to me.....anywho....the car can take it, it is a little hard on the starter and the engine as a whole but not *that* big of deal. I used to work on the police CVs and they can take a good beating :) Are you really worried about the car or is there some other reason you dont want to shut if off? Hot outside and you want to keep the AC going? ;)

Reply to
Scott M

Battery and generator life is the biggest concern. When ever you start the engine the battery is discharged, the longer the crank time the more the discharge. The generator has to recharge the battery. Depending on the state of the battery and wire connections the battery could be fully recharged in a hour or never. That is where the generator is in danger. Once the engine is started the battery is now a load on the electrical system, the bigger the load the harder the generator has to work. The generator can burn out in just a few hours with a bad battery or bad battery connections. As long as the engine has a very good P/M maintenance schedule, it is not a concern. You can find this information by just doing a simple web search.

Reply to
Thomas Moats