Frozen drain plug

Hi. Any suggestions how to free my oil drain plug on a 94 ford Escort ? Cant remember doing it up that tight ! Nuts a bit rounded now ! Cheers Jeff

Reply to
Jeff UK

try using a pair of vice grips

Reply to
jimmyh

Carefully file the rounded edges square as much as possible. Select a socket that seems slightly too small but sort of wants to go on. Gently tap that socket on with a hammer. Then try to loosen the bolt being sure to keep the drive square and holding it tight to the bolt. If the bolt is metric, which it probably is, then the tightest fitting socket may be an SAE size.

PS> Have a replacement bolt available and perhaps an oversize one for if the threads strip and even a backup universal rubber plug if nothing else seals it. And don't let the wife change oil next time.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Try a 6 point 1/2 inch wrench

Reply to
johanb

...and tap straight onto the wrench/nut as you exert turning force--a little shock from the tapping often works wonders. Also, might help to attempt this while engine is HOT. s

Reply to
sdlomi2