My Mark VIII Sunroof

Call me stupid. Years ago I was told to put baby oil on rubber door, trunk, and sunroof gaskets to make them last longer. Zebart who I think is out of business told me to do this when I had them put a sunroof in my 79 Firebird. I did the gaskets today. They must have swelled up a little which I would think was a healthy thing. Anyway the rubber gasket around the glass of the sunroof is where I have problmes. When I try to open the roof it sinks down but not enough to be able to slide in. If I give it a push down it works. It will keep working fine and it will open and close without help after I give it a push. After it sits for a 1/2 hour or more it's back to me having to push it down again. You think it will work itself out or I need to do something more to it? It pops up like it's supposed to and when it was sliding open I put my hand on it and it seemed powerful. I didn't try to stop it, just felt to check the power of the roof motor. Thanks

Reply to
lerner

You could try cleaning the gasket well with a good rubber/ plastic cleaner. Do not use rubbing alcohol- it causes the rubber to dry out quicker and crack sooner. After cleaning, use a good protectant- I use Protect-All with decent results. That's what I also use for cleaning, I just don't put it on thick, and make sure I wipe it off well.

Good luck!

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Just thought I'd say Hi. Hi Stupid!=unintelligent: thought to show a lack of intelligence, perception, or common sense. Are you that? Or are you ignorant? =lacking knowledge: lacking knowledge and education in general or in a specific subject. You said,"They must have swelled up a

You're answering your own questions here and not hearing the obvious. People who use these forums to get info are lazy and not concerned with facts or communicating intelligently. But especially they're in denile to the fact that they are the cause of and continuation of their problems.

Reply to
fordtech via CarKB.com

You're answering your own questions here and not hearing the obvious. People who use these forums to get info are lazy and not concerned with facts or communicating intelligently. But especially they're in denile to the fact that they are the cause of and continuation of their problems.

Thanks for the help. It started working normal again on it's own.

Reply to
lerner