OBD-II 442 in 1998 Ford Escort

My service Engine Soon indicator came on in my 1998 Ford Escort. Auto Zone said it was 442. This happened about 3 week ago at which time Auto Zone said to replace the gas cap. Lately the car has had momentary losses of power, like its skipping. I don't know if the 442 is related to the skipping, there were no other error codes.

A couple of things...

Auto Zone did not have a Ford gas cap so I purchased a OEM replacement cap, could this be a problem? Do I need a Ford gas cap?

I looked at the plumbing going to the canister, lot of rusty looking tubes. I could find no leaks, I looked for stains on the plumbing but this may not be a effective troubleshooting procedure.

Any ideas on isolating the failure would be great appreciated? Thanks John

Reply to
John Perry

"A code P0442 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

A loose or improperly affixed gas cap A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand) A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube Other small leak in EVAP system Faulty vent o-ring seal"

Reply to
Tim J.

I did not get a Ford cap. AutoZone sold me one they said would function. Maybe I should get a ford cap before I send the car in for repair.

Reply to
John Perry

It's highly unlikely that the faulty gas cap is responsible for the momentary lapses of power. If the code 0442 doesn't return, then you've solved that problem, even with the non-Ford cap.

If you haven't changed spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter or any of the other normal maintenance items in the last several years or 30,000+ miles, I would try that as a first measure.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin