OT: Minivan wrecked

The car is brand new, 655 miles. The other guy was cited for the accident and his insurance company is accepting responsibility. The air bags deployed and frame is bent, but they will not consider it totaled. Does anyone know of any recourse I have, being as now the car has a much lower value from being in an accident. I haven't even made a payment on this car yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Dave

Reply to
endorf

Contact a lawyer. I'd think he is liable for the damages he's caused, not only to the parts of your car, but also to its value. Some insurance companies recognize this and replace cars in situations like yours.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

endorf opined in news:s4vkb.5634$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

I feel your pain!

But on a barely related topic...

Yesterday seemed to be "Minivan Moron" day in central Ohio.

Trip to Lowes:

On freeway, m-moron paces a semi for about 3 miles backing up a line of about

20 cars. Then, on busy Shopping center access road, one m-m stops in lane of traffic trying to enter restaurant lot... while m-m #2 is blocking that entrance by trying to exit left from the middle of the 2 car width entrance... again backing up traffic for several minutes.

Then once I get back on freeway, I encounter another m-m who is trying to merge onto the 65 mph freeway at 50 mph and slowing down because the traffic wont move over for him.

The minivan was one of the greatest design ideas of the last 25 years, but the people who tend to buy them.. yourself excluded of course... make me truly understand "Road-Rage"!!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You should negotiate for the "depreciation allowance" which is what I call it as I don't know the correct term, and trade your van in for a new one. Hopefuly you won't have to come up with much but this is what I would do in your situation. People do this all the time.

I wonder how bad is the damage to your van and what type of van is it? Just curious. How much is the estimate for?

___________________________________________________ People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf......George Orwell.

Reply to
Scott

I hate to say it was a Kia. First non Ford I have owned. It is for the wife, so I wanted a 5 star safety rating. The frame is bent 2 inches. Hood, fenders, windshield, headlights, radiator all smashed. Air bags deployed. Estimate was for about $10,000. The cost of the van with tax, tag and everything was $22,600.

Reply to
endorf

I'm with C. Brown. Find a lawyer. Chances are the insurance company will pay his/her fee as well.

Reply to
getupand

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I will get a lawyer. Dave

Reply to
endorf

Thanks for the other information. I can't blame you a bit for not wanting it back after $10,000 in repairs.

Like I said, people trade them in wrecked all the time, especially if the dealer has a body shop he knows will straighten it out so they can sell it.

Talk to the other guys insurance company about footing the difference on the trade. I wouldn't involve an attourney if I didn't have to, but you can always talk to one. State laws vary on vehicle insurance and compensation, you may need to talk to one just to find out what your state law is.

Reply to
Scott