OT: Strange airline hose

I bought this airline hose last year, and I paid good money for it, 50' ft rubber for like, $30.00. Anyway, it seems like every couple of months, it gets this slime on it like sticky tree sap. The first time I just figured I drug it thru something, so I wiped it down with gasoline and all was good again, I didn't use the hose for a period, and when I came back, it was covered in that sticky crap again! What is this stuff that the hose is seeping and how to prevent it?? Is it the hose itself or maybe something the compressor is putting in the air, that's in the hose, that's seeping thru? I don't have a filter/regulator attached so thought this a possibility.

This does not happen to any of my PVC hoses, but they don't last as long either. I like the flexibility of the rubber, but the crap on it is nasty.

Nothing worse than grabbing the hose and getting a handful of nasty stuff.

Thanks for any insight,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Well, maybe the airline used it to spray de-icer.. that might account for it

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Huh? I use my air for impacts, tires and tire changer, and a sand blaster.. No de-icer ever used.... I am in a "shop" environment....

Thanks for the thought though,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

============ ============

that wuz funny

lmao

~:~ marshmonster ~can't believe you got him to reply...rotflmao~

Reply to
Reefer

=========== ===========

It's the air hose.

Try using spray carb cleaner on the hose. It evaporates faster than the gasoline, which is agrevating the situation by helping to loosen up the

solvents in the CHEAP ASS rubber composition of the hose. The solvents in the cheap hose is working outward carrying some of the rubber to a molten state. (the hose is cheap)

any whoooo..... if you use 2 rags, SOAK one rag with the carb cleaner and wipe down about

2 foot of the hose, then IMEDIATELY go across that same spot with the other, hopefully clean/dry, rag.

then, you should be able to just wipe the hose down after each job with a dry rag.

or.... call NAPA and get another hose, this time, a good one.

any whoooo..... my 2 cents worth, take it for what it's worth.

~:~ MarshMonster ~agrees, rubber hose is better than those hard arse plastic ones~

Reply to
Reefer

Yeah, I had forgotten about the general mentality of these newsgroups, generally speaking. I should have read more closely, for I should have known someone would pick apart a typo, a misspelling, or punctuation. I had forgotten that "school is in" whilst posting. How boring our life's must be to look for errors in information newsgroups and to try to squeak out any little humor you can. A grammar newsgroup yes, a mechanical type group, you wouldn't think. Lesson learnt.....

None the less, the hose I had bought WAS a NAPA hose, I am a big fan of NAPA. It was not the most expensive hose, but rather a "middle of the road" one. It is still good information to know just to answer the question of "why?". Curiosity is a fundamental human trait and that is the premise of this whole thread, I simply wanted to know why.

Thank you, I suppose, for the reminder that my life really isn't that bad after, and thank you again for the information and answer to the simple question pertaining to the original topic.

By the way, does it really save you that much time to spell "wuz" rather than "was"? Or is that just something to stay in the main stream and blindly follow the herds? And, what's up with the no capitalization? The beginning of a sentence is always started with a capitol letter, and names are always capitalized. Your last sentence should also begin with "I", or "We", and you forgot the period after "funny" unless that was a question? Or maybe that last sentence just got tabbed down and it should read, "Marshmonster can't believe you got him to reply", but you still forgot to capitalize in that case, and sentence structure is lacking and beginning a sentence as a third person, (i.e. yourself), is incorrect. You should work on that.

and search for "Parts of a sentence" and "When to capitalize". Google is your friend.

Just some friendly criticism. Doug ;)

Reply to
Doug

  1. Seriously: COULD have been 'airline' support system surplus.

  1. Complain to NAPA. They obviously cant test every product and there's a good chance they got snookered by some supplier/ manufacturer... like maybe the Chinese?

- had a problem with a name-brand copper plumbing fitting from Lowes, would not slide over tubing. Complained once, nothing was done - because three months later, same problem... finally I called the supplier tech service desk by phone, explained it and made sure the Lowes manager called supplier and sent back all the bad stock.

It REALLY IS up to 'us' sometimes.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

========= ========= wow........

talk about general mentality and boring lives.....

oh..... and yer welcum to kill file me if'n yuz don't care fer duh way I gits duh message through.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Reefer

Your name says it all.....

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I hope yer air hose busts while yer work'n under the hood of a 2005 Mercedes, whacks yuh in the balls, piss'n yuh off enough to sling yer Ingersol down, bouncing off the upper heater hose and going smashing into the windshield.

~:~ marsh ~hit's his bong....sips his crownroyal....~

Reply to
Reefer