Please help - 95 Taurus would not start

Recently my 95 Taurus died when my son drove it to his friend's house. Fortunately it happened infront of his friend's house. The next day I went there with my tools and checked out the car. The battery was in good shape and the alternator was charging. I had my wife crank the car and I measured over 14 volts across the battery terminals. The car cranked but there was no spark. I checked the coil and I measured zero resistance across the two terminals. I can hear the fuel pump working. I thought either the coil or the TFI (ignition module) was bad. I drove to a nearby Advanced Auto and bought a coil and a TFI. When I got back to my Taurus, I first replaced the coil and the car started right up. I thought I got the problem solved. My wife and I proceeded to return to Advanced Auto to return the TFI, which I did not use. After a few miles of driving my Taurus died in the middle of a busy road. With my wife's car behind the Taurus I again checked and found no spark. I could not replace the TFI since a special tool was need to remove the old one. I did not know about this special tool - I could have bought one when I bought the TFI. I had the car towed to my mechanic's shop and he changed the TFI but there was still no spark. The next day my mechanic replaced the whole distributor, which came with a new TFI. However, he still couldn't get any spark. He asked me to tow the car the the dealer to see what the problem may be. Has anyone else experienced this strange problem. I am plan to tow the car to my house and try to repair the car myself. Please help. Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
SChiu

SChiu opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

forget ohms...low impedance coil measurements are useless. Can read good and still be bad.

measure voltage on each side of coil to frame. coil side should fluctuate when engine turning over... static voltage sw side about 8-10

test light is good buy.

beside tfi, pickup failure is possibility

lube the tfi with si grease!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

ooops... also bad ign sw is possible.