Possibe Axel Shaft?

Hi:

My neighbor has a 1998 F150 4x4, V8 engine(not sure the size).The problem is that when he turns left or right, in 4 wheel drive, it makes a metallic, loud, clunking sound from the left front side. When driving forward in 4x4 it doesn't make quite a loud noise as when it turns. (still makes noise though) I had him back up in 4 low and I stuck my head in the wheelwell to listen and I THINK it is coming from the axel shaft itself.

Could this be the axel joints wore out on this side? The other side does not make any noise.Does this problem effect the vehicle in 2 wheel drive? I told him it didn't. Might be wrong though.

Much Appreciated Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike

Does it do this on a dirt road? You'r not supposed to drive it in 4X4 on pavement.

Reply to
Scott

Yes dirt road. Winter roads also. Doesn't matter what the surface is the problem still exists.Wouldn't need 4 wheel drive on pavement.

Thanks Scott

Reply to
Mike