Ford Probe Ignition Distributor Question

Got a prob I've been asked to look at for a friend o mine. He's just bought a nice condition 95 2 litre Probe, but it's got the usual dizzy probs (i've done a bit of research on the WWW.

I'm not really finding the info I need, so I'm after pointers to the right websites, or infor from those in the know, on how to overcome this.

In particular I've got questions relating to the immobiliser and by-passing that. (yep its a UK car). Is it better to bypass or fix. I understand the BOSCH unit has had the re-solder treatment, tho I've not looked in it myself yet.

Also, the dizzy itself. What actually fails?. Is it the pickups/Hall slotted switches, the drive unit for the coil (ignitor?) or the coil itself. Is there a simple fix. I'm not aversed to putting on some external switching device/cd ignition, or can I use an alternative circuit for the ignitor to the coil.

The Dizzy is the T6T57871. Also I inderstand that a Mazda unit can be substituted from a 626. Is that correct?

As I said, any pointers to the right site or info would help me here. The car needs to be going again ASAP.

Cheers.... Rob.

Reply to
Rob. Smith

2 liter probe? The Probe may share a lot of components - powertrains, understructure and major suspension pieces among them - with the MX-6, but the overall packages couldn't be more different. The Probe has a slim, sleek, aggressive exterior that looks fresh and exciting even after a few years on the road. Only the now-pass pop-up headlights betray the probe's age; otherwise, the rounded nose, smooth sculptured sides and unique glass-rich roofline combine to make this coupe a styling standout. The upper-level GT differs from its base sibling in several respects. First and foremost is the engine: The base model features a 118-hp 2.0-liter DOHC 4-cylinder from Mazda; the GT has a 2.5-liter DOHC V6, also built by Mazda, that generates 164 hp. Also, while each model has its own nose cap and taillight treatment, the G

judging by this blurb i would say it was a mazda mx-6 (just like the older probes were) with a FORD skin on the outside.

so i would say yes the mazda dist would work

Reply to
Rob