97 Cherokee Brakes Pulsating

I have been having a pulsation in the brakes of my 97 Cherokee. This has discs up front and drums in the back. It had a recent brake job and the front rotors are new. When my wife told me about the problem (yeah, to add insult to injury it's her car so I hear about it alot)I drove it to try to find it. I heard a little scraping but instead of being smart and having her stand on the side of the road and pinpoint the sound, I started taking stuff apart. Anyway, I tore the front and back brakes down and put them back together, double checking everything I could think of including making sure the torques were all right. Then I flushed all the old brake fluid, that was looking pretty nasty. Well, the damn sound is gone but the pulsation isn't (although I think it's somewhat better...my wife doesn't). I'm going to borrow a micrometer from a buddy to check the front rotors. What else can anybody recommend that I check? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
R Sturk

Wheel lug nuts not torqued even or put on with an impact gun will warp the rotor. Chrysler rotors are really bad for that. Some garages are still too lazy to use the proper torque wrench and so they screwed your rotors for you.

I would take it back to the shop and hope they don't notice you had it apart or they will say too bad....

They cannot blame old rotors eh. Then when they try to BS you about their 'cool' torque stick on the impact gun, have the bent rotor in your hand slapping it like you want to use it up the side of his head eh.

You don't need the gauge to check the runout. Just hold a straight edge against the rotor and rotate it, you will see the warp.

Once warped it has to be turned on a lathe to go back straight which takes half the life off it.

Mike

R Sturk wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If the rotors are bad. There was a recall and they will replace the rotors.

Reply to
Dave Best

Yeah those stupid torque bars... I cursed the local Cambodian Tire once when they fixed a flat tire for me and then zapped the wheel back on the car with a torque bar, I calmly asked the service manager if he was going to buy me a new rim.. answer "no, why would I need to buy you a rim?", when told that I specifically requested they use a torque wrench, and ensure that it was clearly written on the work order, then told him that if my rim or rotor was warped afterwards he and the $9.00 per hour gorilla were going to be buying me a new rim and two new rotors, he quickly ran to the snot nosed teenager looked at the work order, and told the kid to use a normal torque wrench. End result the kid had to find a torque wrench.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Know the feeling. I always carry the torque wrench with me anyway set for

110 lb/ft (beats the hell out of the wheel brace), so I put it in the front seat well and tell them to use that.

Dave Milne