Re: Mustang Wiring Trouble

Turns out someone had been messing

> with all the wires that have a bunch of fusable links by the battery and > their "repair" broke loose. I fixed it by taking the four wires that were > all bunched together and put 12v to them by attaching them to the ignition > solenoid.

Go to the library and find a book with the wiring diagram for your Mustang. You found one crappy repair already, who knows how many more there are that are hidden from view.

Reply to
max-income

Maybe the oil pressure sensor has been replaced with the incorrect idiot light sensor or is just shot.

Sounds like the circuit breaker for the headlights is tripping. Something is overloading it and or the driving lights broke the camels back. My fix would be to run a fused wire from the battery to the driving lights that is activated by a relay from the factory wiring. This way you aren't adding a big load to the stock wiring and breaker.

Maybe related to above? not sure.

-today the stereo, exterior lights, dash light, wipers and signal lights

Sounds like bad connections/ grounds etc. just giving you intermitent problems. A lot of problems related to poor grounds cause erratic behavior as the current finds "sneaky" ways to get to ground by back feeding through other systems. ( If you ever see a car that has its running lights go off when the driver hits the brakes or uses his turn signals this is often caused by poor grounds causing a backfeed which kills the other lights)

Take the aftermarket stereo out of the equation first and see if your maladies disapear or lessen

Hope so. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Thanks to the two people that replied with really good suggestions.

I did some hunting around, checking wires, grounds, etc. Someone had suggested I pull all the fuses, one at a time and see if the problem goes away, I did that, no leads. Then I took my volt metre and check for coninuity from ground to all the fuses. Only one showed a connection, obviously a short of some kind. Looked it up, it was the fuse for the exterior lighting, dash lights, and stereo. :) did some more snooping around and found that if I pulled the head light knob all the way out, and then back in ever so slowly, about 1/4 inch, everything works fine! :)

Took the light switch out and noticed that some of the tabs holding the wires into the connector are broken off (thanks previous owner) so the wires aren't seating properly. The switch is all rusty and the spring for the dimmer is broken. So, we're going to install a new headlight switch and a new connector (dealership purchase, no junk yard crap) and everything should work after that.

Thanks again to all who helped

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie