9000 rear speaker help

I am trying to replace the rear 6"x9" speakers in my 1994 9000CSE. I cannot find any way to remove the speaker grill to access the speakers. I see no screws or clips holding the grill. Any idea how to do it?

LeonB

1994 9000CSE 1990 900S 1988 900SE
Reply to
LeonB

I did this a while back. I think you remove and replace them from underneath - i.e. without removing the grill.

Reply to
Piers

After you pry off the carpeted trim panels from the trunkside of the spkrs, you'll see that the spkrs are mounted in a shelf that can be removed by undoing a couple of nuts.

Then you can easily remove the woofers and bolt in any 6x9 spkr of your choice (the tweeters are integral to the shelf, and don't come out easily).

Reply to
Bob(but not that Bob)

Hi Leon,

When you install your speakers check to make sure they are in phase. I had to change the connections on one speaker in our 1994 CSE because the rear speakers were obviously out of phase when I bought the car. You can do it by ear by making sure you have a "stereo image" with any and only two speakers on at the same time. If unsure you can confirm by checking the continuity of each wire from the amp to each speaker, or as a last resort, touching each pair of wires at the amplifier end to an AA battery while a second person observes which way the speaker cone moves.

Good luck, R. Frist

1998 9000CSE 5-spd. 1994 9000CSE auto 1986 900T 5-spd.
Reply to
Ramsey Frist

Thanks, you are right. After opening the carpet trim and loosening the 2 nuts, I found out that the existing speakers are actually very good high power speakers, also there are two horn type tweeters. I connected one of the new JVC 3 way speaker and the original SAAB speaker actually sounded fuller with less distortion in higher volume. So I returned the JVC's. I did replace the front SAAB paper tweeters with 1" Clarion edge driven silk tweeters. It made a huge difference. Music sounds unbelievably crisp. My recommendation is that to improve the sound in any SAAB the easiest is to add high quality titanium or silk tweeters.

Reply to
LeonB