supposed problem with '91 areostar

Supposedly an areostar i'm going to be recieving has a transmission gasket leak...Is it expensive or hard to fix?

Reply to
Peter Forsberg

Thomas Moats

do you know how many there are...i haven't recieved the van yet, and i dont havea shop book yet..

Reply to
Peter Forsberg

What Aerostar transmission doesn't have a leak? Really folks, all my Aerostar transmissions have been fine .... all of them. Even my third one. Does this say something about the tranny?

Some leaks are easy to fix, some aren't. Do yourself a favor and get a rock solid rebuilt instead of fooling around with somebody else's bad parts.

A word of caution though; the transmission for your van is no longer in production and neither are the parts. The latest upgrade requires extensive rewiring since it is electronically controlled. I was going to repair my last transmission, but the part was $1500 and in Texas (I'm in PA). Let's see, $1900 for a new transmission with warranty installed next day or $1500 for a part to stick in an old transmission.

The Aerostar is an ugly but good van. It's rough in the styling department but it sure can take a beating. Even though mine has power nothing, it's still the most comfortable van I've ever driven. I just try to avoid rolling a window down.

Reply to
JustAnotherGuy

Replacement parts are VERY much still in production. The transmission is not electrically controlled. Converter lock up and 4th are the only functions that are actuated by the engine processor. You were feed a line, and you swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

There are many gaskets. One between the bell housing and case. One between the tail shaft and case. The dip stick tube is sealed by a o ring. The servo covers are sealed by o rings. The pan has a gasket. Before you go hog wild you ought to find out where the leak is and cause. Maybe the transmission is over full and fluid is being pushed out the vent. There is also the possibility the governor seals are leaking and pushing fluid out the vent. That is only two examples of what could be wrong.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I know its not over full..so i best be tryin to get under that van.. I've seen its a typical problem for the areostar ot be leaking underthere with the transmission...

Reply to
Peter Forsberg

Reply to
Thomas Moats