Taurus Dash Lights

I have a 98 Taurus that has a few bulbs out behind the gages. Does anyone know how to get behind the dash to replace the lights? I removed the two screws at the top of the plastic panel. I can get that part to pull down but how does the rest of it come off? This is my wifes car and she will be pissed at me if I dont get it back together right!

Thanks!

-Dustin

Reply to
hedgehog

Well i feel your going about it all wrong.Your dash panel that is around the cluster as well as the radio,heater control ect. will pop out after you remove all screws under drivers side kick panel and look up on the bottom side above the cluster you should have 2 screws.With very slight prying you gan work your way around the panel and it will come off. When you get it off there is 4 screws around the cluster remove them and pull easly toward you the connectors can at time be tight and somewhat hard to remove so be carefull.When you get it out you can address the lighting issues.Reverse to install.

Reply to
kraabman

Removal(column shift models):

  1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

  1. Remove ignition switch lock cylinder from steering column.

  2. Remove upper and lower steering column shrouds.

  1. Remove two retaining screws from instrument panel steering column cover and remove instrument panel steering column cover from instrument panel.

  2. Remove integrated control panel from instrument panel.

  1. Remove four retaining screws and instrument panel finish panel from instrument panel.

  2. Tilt steering wheel to lowest position to make clearance to remove instrument panel finish panel.

  1. Remove four retaining screws and instrument panel finish panel from instrument panel.

  2. Detach transmission range indicator cable loop from transmission column shift selector tube.

  1. Remove adjustment nut from transmission range indicator cable and remove transmission range indicator cable from bracket.

  2. Remove four retaining screws from instrument cluster.

  1. Pull top of instrument cluster toward steering wheel.

  2. Reach behind instrument cluster and disconnect two electrical connectors from instrument cluster.

  1. Remove instrument cluster from instrument panel.

Installation:

  1. Follow removal procedure in reverse order.

  1. Tighten instrument cluster retaining screws to 2-3 N-m (18-26 lb-in). Tighten instrument panel steering column cover screws to 8-9 N-m (71-79 lb-in).

There you go!

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1