Tempo tp Taurus

Is it possible to replace the front end (quarter panels, fender, hood, etc etc) of a ford taurus 90's with the front end from a tempo (80's)? Please send all repsonses to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.

p.s. VERY similiar body, and overall design, and this question comes from the fact that the taurus has been wrecked, the tempo has not. Main question: the front cross bar on the taurus is wasted, can I replace it and the majority of the crushed parts with parts from the older tempo? (looks does not matter, only keeping it on the road) Thanks in advance for any and all responses

Reply to
PicsesMike

Anything is possible.

Practical? No way. It would run you $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 in fabrication and welding, ...and to what end.

These two cars shared no parts in common, they are a completely different vehicle, the Taurus is much bigger. The Tempo/Topaz is much more similar to the Escort/Lynx.

The closest relationship between the Taurus and Tempo (other than the radio) is that the Taurus was available in the early years with a 2.5L version of the Tempo 2.3L I-4.

Get a $200 Taurus or Sable on eBay or the classifieds, if you must repair yours. They are available all over very cheap with blown 3.8's and trannys but in otherwise excellent condition.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thanks Rob, that pretty much answers my question. I own both the taurus and the tempo (although the tempo is stored in a different county- and not readily available- hence the question), and i do have a certified welder who would be free of charge (amazing what you can buy with a few beers. . lol). So now I know to head to the junk yard and get a new front end.... Thanks again, PicsesMike

Reply to
PicsesMike

Don't forget the 3.0L Tempos. I had a 5-speed. A real sleeper. The Taurus 4cyl was a real piece of crap.

You should be able to get an entire Taurus front clip and engine cradle (that "crossbar" is part of the cradle) for about $200 these days from a junk yard. Watch your local paper for one with a blown 3.8 or bad AXOD trans. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

With a cutting torch and bailing wire anything is possible... ;)

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ