Toyota charts upset rivals

Actually, the Prius slowed down by itself. The cop car was moved into position after the car was stopped. The news media made it sound as if the cop car pulled in front of the Prius while it was still moving and helped stop it, but this is not what the cop actually said.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

that's an impressive number of "talking points" you have there ed. but it's not surprising given that smear and astroturf is your full time paid job.

Reply to
jim beam

alio tentatio es a pallens alio permaneo obstinatus

Reply to
Ed White

Probably some truth in both. But GM-NHTSA records clearly show Toyota isn't as bad at such things as say GM or Chrylser, which suffer a "qulity" image issue with consumers as well.

Then one has to ask how come all of a sudden it is a issue with Toyota? Serously? Did NHTSA cook the their own numbers? Or are they sucuming to the great which hunt? Or were they bribed?

Like Obama to explain that please. And no BS slippery talk, straight up.

Democrats are running scared like bunnies for November 2010 has something in store for Obama and the democrats. I think washout might be in order. Many a senior democrats, otherwise unemployable will join the 10's of millions who have seen unemployment.

It is deception. Get people focused on a perceived sacraficial enemy. Cars crash every day, a broken Chrysler transmission, Ford wheel falling off, a GM drops out of gear unexpectedly in bumber to bumper rush hour...

Takes the focus off of governemnt corruption, bailout spending, the stench of billionaires with money on depsit at Citi and others. Yep, focus the anger elsewhere.

Just apony show for the naive. As the debt, economy, and corruption are more important.

Probably trying to figure out what failing aprts are not shared with GM, like the gas peddle mechanical.

Reply to
Canuck57

no ed, i'm right on target, and you know it. now, take your morally bankrupt and not too smart ass off to find a real job that contributes to society and doesn't cost the taxpayer money.

Reply to
jim beam

In my opinion the media coverage of the Lexus that ran away in California.got the ball got rolling. I am sure there are multiple groups that had an interest in promoting the story (trial lawyers, labor unions, certain politicians, etc.). I feel Congress got involved becasue it was an oppurtunity to divert attention from the more pressing problems that Congress has bungled.

I am not sure what you mean when you ask if NHTSA cooked their own numbers. There were a lot of complaints over the last few year related to the Toyota vehicle speed control category. I think the correct question is, why did NHTSA ignore the warning from State Farm back in 2007? Even if the speed control complaints are valid (and I think most are), Toyotas are not involved in an unusally high number of fatal crashes. The more I look into this, the more I realize how safe all cars are. For instance, in 2008 there were around 240 million passenger vehicles registered in the US. 50,430 of these were involved in fatal crashes (being involved in a fatal crash means someone died in the accident, possibly in the vehicle, in another vehicle, or a pedestrian). That means around 0.02% of all vehicles were invovled in a crash. I don't know how many Toyotas were on the road in 2008, but only

3118 of the vehicles invovled in crahses in 2008 were Toyotas. This is 6.2% (of 50,430), which I am guessing was close to (or less than) the percetange of Toyotas included in the 240 million total number of vehicles.

I know you are not a fan of Obama, but I think it is highly unlikely he has any direct invovlement in the Toyota debacle. And remember the head of NHTSA is a Republican. Obama has far more important issues he should be addressing. On the list of US problems, runaway Toyotas is not in the top

1000.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds

Reply to
C. E. White

The recent Toyota problems aside, I have been convinced that NHTSA has been corrupt for several years. I base this on two things: (1) If you've ever tried to register a complaint on their site, it is clear that they want to make you give up trying to do so before you even get started - at least that's the way it was the two times I attempted to do so - maybe it's been improved/streamlined? (or perhaps that is just inherent in it being a government entity), and (2) From hanging out on several car forums of a particular type of car for years and knowing of (and actually personally experiencing) what are clearly safety issues on some of the vehicles without any recalls or even TSB's being issued on the problem.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Corrupt? or incompetent? not sure.

Their handing of automotive lighting issues sure leaves a lot to be desired, that's for damn sure. Why can't they just allow E-codes like the rest of the world and be done with it? And high beam and turn signal DRLs are just so ludicrous that whoever proposed them should have been told to STFU and GTFO instead of being taken seriously. And why are directional repeaters still not mandatory like they are in ECE countries? And red rear directionals? Come on, they've been mandated to be amber in every other civilized country since the 60's.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

the ability to accept money from anyone with no scruples is moral bankruptcy.

Reply to
jim beam

fossor est ostendo sum per suus stultus editio

Reply to
C. E. White

translation: my intern is a classic's scholar.

they can't get a job of any value to society either.

Reply to
jim beam