What a monstrosity!

I finally gave in, and went to the dealer, to have the "CC deactivation switch" recall work done on my Exploder. I was expecting a nice, compact in-line fuse, of the type that aftermarket radios use, to be inconspicuously spliced onto the wiring. But instead, what a monstrosity! A huge bulky gizmo, wrapped with insulation tape and secured to the brake lines with a bunch of cable ties. And a 6" long do-nothing appendage (apparently a harness shroud tube for alternative installations) hangs out from it. To add insult to injury, there is a label, telling me that the fuse inside is not replaceable, and the entire monstrosity needs to be replaced (this time obviously not for free) if it burns. What else should I say?

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Yes, yes, I know that the irreplaceable fuse is Ford's way of protecting themselves from liability if some smart Alleck replaces the original with a

30Amp one when the CC switch goes bad and it does its job...
Reply to
Happy Traveler

So, if the fuse goes bad then splice in an inline fuse.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Or simply replace the fuse that is there... Modern society is litigious to the extreme.... people will sue simply because stupid people are allowed to sue. And Ford is simply covering their collective ass... and can we blame them?

In Texas, a lawyer is suing FMC, his dealer and HyperTech because his chipped 6.0 diesel blew the head gaskets.... The documents that came with the truck specifically state that modifications can void the factory warranty... HyperTech said that their chip wont void factory warranty....

Why do we need to tell people not to stick a knife into a toaster to retrieve a piece of bread? Why do we need to warn people of many things that should be a matter of common sense?

Like I tell my boy.... if you are about to do something - ask yourself why you are doing it and ask yourself what you expect for a result.

Reply to
Jim Warman

That's specifically why they came up with the SFE series glass fuses in the 1940's - the higher the rating, the longer the fuse element between the end-shells, a 30A would not physically fit in a 5A fuse holder.

And there are other rejection small fuses they could use, there's one where the fuse and the fuseholder cap are soldered together, and the holder cap lugs are keyed to only fit in the right holder.

If they were planning ahead, Buss or Littelfuse (not sure who was in the lead on that one) could have easily incorporated an over-fusing rejection tab feature in the ATO blade-fuse specification when they were being designed, but they didn't.

IANAL of course. Looks to me like the truck owner has a case, the sticky question being with whom...

IF the damage can be traced back to the HyperTech Chip itself, they're liable under 'general fitness and merchantability' or such - when you sell a product, it has to do what it says for a reasonable amount of time.

IF the damage can be traced back to bad head gaskets or another factory defect, then it's in Ford's court. If the truck is new enough to where it's not likely to be attributed to wear and tear or abuse, the only other logical cause is a defect somewhere - perhaps they didn't torque the head bolts right on the assembly line that week. Unless Ford wants to push that 'modifications void warranty' clause.

IF HyperTech makes a claim of "Will not void the factory warranty" they must have had their lawyers go over the Ford warranty with a fine tooth comb, and be certain of their position on this before making the claim in writing - or they have just committed a fraud...

And that's actionable, you bought the kit in good faith that SOMEONE would take responsibility if it went BLOOEY! out of the box. If Ford won't pay for the needed repairs then HyperTech should, and they can sue Ford to get paid back - they're a corporate entity with lawyers on staff or retainer, they can handle it far easier than a vehicle owner.

1: Unplug toaster from wall socket. 2: Remove jammed toast.

If they can't handle something THAT simple, they don't deserve to continue wasting precious oxygen and food supplies.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman