05 reg 1.8 TDCi Focus power steering..

Well, I'm a full month into owning my new (new to me) Focus.

Brilliant it's been too.

Checking my levels before and after a trip to Bournemouth earlier in the week I noticed there isn't anywhere to fill up - or check - the power steering fluid.

Very odd. I had a look in the 'manual' and it says the PS fluid in turbo diesel's don't need refilling.. Ever.. So this obviously begs the question, how does it work? Is it not hydraulic?

Anyone know?

Cheers, paul.

Reply to
paul.groves

Probably electrically assisted, more efficient as it doesn't have to run a hydraulic pump all the while the engine is on.

Hellraiser...........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Could be electric?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quick replies. Cheers.

I didn't know they did 'electrically assisted' power steering. You learn something new every day.

Something else to prolly go wrong down the line. Heh. :)

paul.

Reply to
paul.groves

the electro-hydraulic power assisted steering that the new shape focus's and fiestas use is a speed sensitive unit that does use a conventional rack and runs an electric pump not a mechanical belt driven one.

No ford system uses the type built into the column like fiat pinto's etc.

HATH

ME

Reply to
Mark C.