I have recorded in a previous post the problem I had with the wiper on
the Focus tailgate/rear hatch, with it now returning to the park
position. This was correctly diagnosed as a broken power cable - with
the break occurring within the flexible rubber linkage between the body
and the tailgate. I thought I would share the broader resolution to the
issue of wear at this linkage point.
To resolve the wiper issue, I removed the flexible rubber linkage, only
to find one broken cable (the wiper power) but also a number of others
where the insulation had cracked and some already fraying wire. In
addition, I found the reinforced rear washer hose had also split at this
point, and sending fluid back into the roof lining - so it was timely
that I caught these problems. I tried to locate some reinforced hose to
put a patch into the line to replace the damaged hose, but was unable
to buy any at my local Ford Dealer, despite them spending quite a bit of
time looking for options. I then went to a local independent garage, to
see if I could pick up some Automotive wire to patch around the
breakages, but whilst there, he provided me with a length of copper
brake pipe, suggesting I patch this into the hose line. By working the
roof liner at the back away from the rear hatch seal, you get access to
the hose coming up to the rear washer. I cut the hose at the point
where it had split in the linkage, then cut the hose under the roof
liner (to the left) then placed a cut length of break pipe between,
under the roof liner. Make sure you get enough break pipe, as mine was
a little tight in length to allow a good seal insertion into both hose
lengths, plus giving the additional new length necessary to extend the
hose to the washer nipple in the rear brake light fitting. No problems
apparent since completion.
As for the wiring, I again cut the damaged wires under the roof liner,
cutting them at the other side of the linkage, by removing the top
clipped panel (inside behind the rear brake light fitting) - it has
three clips, and pulls off. I then threaded through replacement,
appropriately sized wire between the two cut points, physically joining
the wires and soldering them, followed by heat shrink over the joint
(put the heatshrink over the wire before you solder the joint, then move
over the joint and heatshrink).
Jobs a good un - I think!
I actually got the Automotive Wire from www.iem-services.co.uk, who sell
1M lengths at a sensible price.