Auto On AC

2000 Ford Focus. It has AC. Everytime we start the car, the Air Conditioner comes on. No matter what the setting of the thermostat controls, it comes on.

Is there a way to turn this very annoying thing off???

Reply to
David P. Coleman

Conditioner

Even with the fan off ?

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Conditioner

With the air direction lever set to windscreen defrost a/c is on by default on the later Foci, and no there is no way to turn it off.

If yours is running *all* the time, then you probably have a faulty relay thats stuck in the on position.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.
1.) Yes, even with the fan off. The little green light on the switch comes on and lets me know that the compressor is running. 2.) It is not "stuck on", its just that when you start the car, no matter what position the temp/fan/selector is on, the green light comes on and so does the cold air. Its just a pain that everytime we start the car, we have to reach down and press the switch to turn the AC off...

A "Better Ford Idea"?????

Reply to
David P. Coleman

If you still have warranty on it, you should take it to the dealer.

Reply to
NoRemorse

Ahh this isnt normal. With the fan in the 0 position the fan should not run, and neither should the a/c be able to power up. Sounds like you have a switch with stuck closed contacts to me.- probably the fan switch.

Dealer job- especially if its under warranrty.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

i had a 2000 rental focus once that had this "feature." as far as i can tell its only use is to direct dry (conditioned) air to your windshield to defrost it faster. my 2003 focus on the other hand doesnt do this

Reply to
John Arnold