Cruise Control

Hello,

Does using cruise control improve fuel consumption ?

Thanks

KK

Reply to
dido22

set at 80km/h maybe set at 140 km/h not likely

Reply to
qwerty

"dido22" ponders:

Using cruise control can improve your gas mileage by helping you maintain a steady speed, but only if you are driving on mostly flat roads. If you are driving in hilly terrain, using cruise control typically causes your vehicle to speed up faster (to maintain the preset speed) than it would if you were operating the accelerator yourself.

A driver does a better job of anticipating hills and valleys (he can see ahead), thus getting on and off of the gas pedal so as to maintain a more constant speed.

-- Don

Reply to
Don McC

On flat interstates, using cruise control normally gets me about 10% better gas mileage. I think the principle reason is that I'm not constantly speeding up and slowing down.

Keep your tires inflated properly, keep your air filter clean, and try to drive at the recommended speeds in your owner's manual. Having cruise control helps with the latter. If you have a lead foot like mine, it will also save you money because you will not get as many speeding tickets.

Reply to
jsoftwaredev