Aftermarket Cruise Control Systems

We're currently planning a road trip to Italy. :)
But I sure as heck don't want to do it without some form of cruise control. But I need to balance spending over four hundred quid. :-/
These basic crude mechanical systems will probably suffice, but I can only find one company that sell them - Conrad Anderson.
For the electronic ones, we've Conrad Anderson, Howard May, Ultimate Design and Vehvac, and that appears to be it.
That can't be it, surely... Anybody got any more ideas? Other than a brick, of course...
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Carnoisseur used to sell them (if they're still in business).
--
Lordy.UK

I'll have a look, thanks!
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

i take it cruise control on a KA isn't even on the options list? my MR2 had it as an option (which like traction control hardly any of the jap suicide pilots had added) but the connector for it is there.
other than that my post doesn't really help one bit but hey who was stupid enough to think it would :)

No it's not - nor on the Fiesta nor Puma. It is on the Focus...

Heh!
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
DervMan wrote:

Why ?
My new car has it, but I've never used it. You can't bumble along the motorway at a constant speed - what happens when you're going 0.5mph faster than the car to your left ? Clearly you can't sit in the outside lane for 5 minutes holding everyone up, whilst you pass him !
You already have cruise-control as standard anyway - it's called your right leg. And if you find the system uncomfortable to use, then you've bought the wrong car !
Hope that helps :)
"Nom" snipped-for-privacy@Somewhere.Somewhere wrote in message

I joined the M6 at J44 last night and turned on cruise.
Apart from a couple of suspend/resume sessions for the roadworks, I turned it off when I reached my exit at J15. It also stayed on for 60+ miles of the next 70 till I got home.
I can categorically state that a 520 does 33.2mpg at a constant 85 :)

You're very unlikely to catch up with him.....
Nom wrote:

Clearly you could bumble along at the same speed whilst overtaking for 5 minutes if you wanted to, quite clearly some people can and do.
If you're only traveling 0.5mph faster than the car you're overtaking, you quite simply haven't set the cruise high enough. (c;
Have you tried using cruise control on a long motorway journey? The system in my Clarton, once activated allowed you to accelerate from the speed you set it at, to any speed you liked with the pedal and when you took your foot off it would simply slow down and resume the set speed, you could also use the increase speed button to gently add a few mph. Braking or pressing cancel made you slow down, resume resumed the speed it was last set at.
I found it only made sense on a seriously long motorway journey with low-medium levels of traffic, but it did make sense, especially in a 14ft long automatic uberbarge.

Actually your left leg has to be attached in some way to your brain, its not much use on its own, better off with a brick in that case. With cruise control you have the extra brain processing capacity to judge whether or not you can undertake the numpty travelling in the outside lane 0.5mph faster than the car he is overtaking before you slam into the back of a truck.
Douglas

Heh!
That's true of almost all cars I've driven. The one exception had throttle-by-wire...

So like driving across Europe in the small hours? :)

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
Douglas Payne wrote:

Who does that then ?
It's not an option for anyone with half a clue about driving. Apart from people not moving left a lane or two when they can, nothing annoys me more on the motorway ! If I used my Cruise, I'd be doing exactly the same thing myself :)

So you're suggesting you constantly vary it up and down ? Which is infact what I do with my right leg anyway ?
I just don't *get* cruise control.
What the hell is it for ?

No. I have no reason to. It doesn't make my life any easier, it doesn't get me there any faster, it doesn't improve my economy - hell, it doesn't do anything :)

Same sort of thing in the Pug.
Turn it on, and you remain at the current speed. There's a dedicated stalk for the cruise, on the steering wheel. Shove it up to raise the speed, and down to lower it.
Why does it exist ?
Nom wrote:

No, I'm suggesting that setting the cruise at 70.5mph is a bit anally retentive and in fact, you'd get there quicker and avoid the long-lasting overtaking manouvres that you seem to find so incredibly embarassing by setting it at a more realistic speed, like where fewer people have chosen to cruise.
With Cruise control I also used to find that other people are constantly speeding up and slowing down, if you want to pass someone who is travelling at a very similar speed quickly and safely, all you need is a few seconds blast of the loud pedal. I rarely had to do this at the speeds I was cruising at.

So you haven't actually tried using it, but it still isn't any good?
Actually, I'd wager that it does improve economy, as you are not constantly speeding up and slowing down with your right leg, it uses gentler throttle openings than you probably would. I got 42mpg once (trip computer reading) over about 100 miles from my 2.6 auto Carlton at a cruise controlled indicated 60mph (56mph on the trip computer). Without cruise, I don't generally have the self control to drive at a constant 60mph over that particular 100 miles of dual carrigeway, and I almost certainly could not have managed that sort of fuel economy, even if I had managed to restrict myself to around 60 and not my normal >75 cruise. So from a license keeping and fuel economy point of view, yes it does make sense.
I don't have a car with cruise any more, I drove my BX from Hatfield to Aberdeen, and basically only really stopped for fuel. I missed my cruise control. That is a long motorway journey. That is where cruise control makes sense.

Specifically to irritate you so it would seem.
Douglas
Douglas Payne wrote:

If I were to use it, I'd have it set to just under 90mph I think.
I'll tell you what, when I trundle down to Heathrow in 10 days (w00h00 !) I'll give it a whirl, just for you :)

Noted.
Correct.
Ah, that's exactly what it's for !

Like everything in this world, there's some degree of needing to work with it. You have to adapt to the circumstances. My right foot seems to react to motorway driving without me thinking about it - if I'm slowly catching up with somebody it'll decelerate me to match their speed whilst we're some distance off, or accelerate past.
But that happens with a half mile to go, or three minutes, or whatever...
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

<shrug>
You can, quite happily. Did Stansted to Guildford on cruise control last week and Winchester/Durham/Winchester a couple of weeks before that.
In wrote:

Indeed, I drove to Cardiff on Sunday in the limo, cruise set at 70 for about 80% of the way.
I very regularly drive from Liverpool to darkest Staffordshire on cruise at 75-80 in the Merc.
--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E

That reminds me, did you say the Excursions were shite? There are a couple on autotrader at present and I'm quite tempted, one of those or a Navigator.
In wrote:

No, the Excursions are excellent. Especially the V10.
It's the Navigators that are shite.
--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E

OK thanks, the two one sale ae both Eddie Bauer V10s.

Thanks for that too, quite like the interiors though.
"Steve Firth" %steve%@malloc.co.uk wrote in message

Eeek.
YAWayneRooneyAICMFP.
I thought these were the blinging wheels de jour: http://www.americancarimports.co.uk/stock/stockdetail.asp?id 7