Fight Back Against Big Oil

Fight Back Against Big Oil By Bill O'Reilly for BillOReilly.com Thursday, Apr 24, 2008

So now we have the presidential candidates running around telling voters that they will help solve high gas prices. Well, if you believe that, you'll believe that Hugo Chavez drives a Yugo. It's just bull.

Both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are calling for "investigations" into "price gouging" by American oil companies. Good. There's plenty of price manipulation going on and, under Presidents Bush and Clinton, little federal oversight. If a big oil company wants to tighten supply, for example, it's a snap. Just slow down the refinery process by ordering some extra "maintenance" or something.

But who is going to investigate Senators Obama and Clinton over their opposition to oil drilling? The Democratic Party has consistently opposed new drilling, and nuclear energy as well. Even the dedicated liberal governments in France and Sweden bought into nuclear. But not the American left, no way.

On the Republican side, President Bush has done absolutely nothing about rising gas prices, which is part of the reason is approval rating is approaching 20%. He blames the Democrats. Fine. But the President should be telling all Americans to cut back their gas consumption by 15%. He should be urging us to use less gas. That would at least cut into big oil's record profit margins.

Senator John McCain proposes a gas tax "holiday" this summer. True, that would save the folks a few bucks, but it would also add to the massive spending deficit. The government better start balancing the budget soon before Häagen-Dazs becomes more valuable than the U.S. currency.

The sad truth is that both political parties have sold out the folks. For decades, economists knew China and India were industrializing and those countries would demand much greater amounts of oil. Everybody knew that OPEC could slow down production and gouge the world if it could and, of course, now it can.

But if Americans would get angry and begin punishing the oil bandits, then prices would drop. However, we are often a selfish people. We want those gas-guzzling Hummers and SUVs, and we're paying a big price for that above and beyond the sticker.

Reply to
K2NNJ
1 Litre of Diesel now costs £1.20 (about $2.5) here in the UK.

Reply to
Mike

Cheap $3.45 in the U.S. most places higher.

Reply to
K2NNJ

Out here in the Canadian prairies, a liter of gas is around $1.25 a liter and diesel is about the same. This equates to about $4.75 a US gallon.

Since when does any government care about the working people, they are bought and paid for by big business, always was always will be - no matter which party!

I wonder how much tax those big multinational oil company's pay on their billions and billions in profits. I bet you and me pay more than they do!

The ultimate energy source will be nuclear power but that is still down the road. Big business cannot make enough money out of it or will not get enough handouts from the government currently and probably not "politically correct" either.

1 Litre of Diesel now costs £1.20 (about $2.5) here in the UK.

Reply to
John Gangl

Lets see, average something like $0.47 / gallon in direct taxes, and probably at least that in indirect taxes and the oil companies make what, $0.05/ gallon pre tax, or is it after tax.

Hmmm, yeah, definitely the oil companies, yeah. OH, and they are common stock companies owned by the pension funds so the idea is to really shove it to the widows and orphans. Yeah, must me another instance of "social justice."

Reply to
Ron Todd

Rearranged the top posting

John Gangl wrote: > Out here in the Canadian prairies, a liter of gas is around $1.25 a liter > and diesel is about the same. This equates to about $4.75 a US gallon. >

Last year when Exxon was blasted for making ~$10B profit in a quarter I read that they made about $3B in US sales $7B in international sales, and paid ~$4B in US taxes about 40%, they paid more in taxes then they made in US sales.

Also on worldnetdaily there are a few articles of people making oil from organic waste, ie. trash, leaves, grass clippings etc.

Reply to
underdog

Ron Todd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You confuse retail dealers and OIL companies. Oil companies are the only ones who know how much a gallon they make.

Reply to
tango