Mercon 5

I had my manual transmission oil changed at the Ford dealer and it cost $179.95 plus tax. Is it just me or is this a gouge. $39.00 a liter for Mercon 5.

Reply to
Murray Harper

Isn't Mercon 5 an ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid)? Why use that if you have a manual transmission? And 4.6 litres sound a bit too much for a manual transmission. Is it really a manual trans Focus? /per

"Murray Harper" skrev i meddelandet news:fWBob.5711$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

Reply to
per

Reply to
Murray Harper

My Focus manual does not state Mercon V as an alternative for the manual transmisson anyway. And the "V" additives are for smoother action with the friction bands in the automatic when shifting, which does not at all apply to steel based synchromesh in a manual box. Thus the expensive Mercon V seems unnecessary. Standard Mercon should do as far as I understand. But I've been wrong once before ;-) /per

"Murray Harper" skrev i meddelandet news:N29pb.6386$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

Reply to
per

Reply to
Murray Harper

The manual transmission has had a lot of criticism for being hard to shift when cold in the winter, maybe the ATF can help here. Why did you ask for new oil at this time anyway? Car manufacturers are not allowed, as far as I understand, to specify a brand for proper serviceing, just a specification, at least in USA and Sweden. Don't know about Canada. When they have made the change, as you ordered, it may be a little late for haggling. /per

"Murray Harper" skrev i meddelandet news:qwcpb.6469$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

Reply to
per