rear brake drum removal '71 bus

[rear brake drum removal '71 bus] v on jack stands. got the wheel off. emr brake off. removed the 2 drum hex screws. bled a little
brake fluid. seems really stuck. now what? v There is no "obvious" way of pulling it off without wrangling the back plate for leverage, and I'd rather not do that. ---end---
Grape Daddy

1) Rap on the drum with mallet or lightly with hammer. Loosen 2 adj screws for shoes.
2) Re-install wheel.
3) Turn wheel by hand, at the same time rocking it violently top/bottom, side-to-side.
Speedy Jim http://www.nls.net/mp/volks /

That took care of it. Thanks. ---end---

Sounds simple, but I don't see what that would do, with the lug bolts tight....
- ----------------------------------------------- Jim Adney snipped-for-privacy@vwtype3.org Madison, WI 53711 USA -----------------------------------------------
Jim Adney wrote:

LOL Fair point. Jim

- ----------------------------------------------- Jim Adney snipped-for-privacy@vwtype3.org Madison, WI 53711 USA -----------------------------------------------

So what am I missing? Did you mean to just install the lug bolts loose and then rattle the wheel around?
If that works, I'd love to add it to my bag of tricks. ;-)
- ----------------------------------------------- Jim Adney snipped-for-privacy@vwtype3.org Madison, WI 53711 USA -----------------------------------------------
Jim Adney wrote:

No, the whole idea was a total dud on Buses with separate hub and drum:-( Jim

Okay, then I guess we're back on the same wavelength. Now explain how it was that he wrote back to thank you because it worked for him? ;-)
- ----------------------------------------------- Jim Adney snipped-for-privacy@vwtype3.org Madison, WI 53711 USA -----------------------------------------------
who knows? between the easing oil, the bigger hammer, and racking the wheel back and forth with the lug bolts a little loose, it budged, and then I recovered just enough hope to work it the rest of the way off. For the other drum, I removed the 2 hex bolts, and noted that the bigger hammer left an impression on the side of the other drum and that the drums were MX. Brake drums or no, I don't like to hit anything I like with a hammer. The racking the wheel trick made me feel better at least and it just might have worked. It tapped the edges back toward the backplate, like maybe I should have been using my claw hammer. ---end--- . . .real shame about those new German shoes being out of stock though.

Assuming these are two piece drums like type 3s, and use lug bolts, not lug nuts, then the trick I've found that always works is as follows:
Jack up rear end on jackstands.
Remove wheel/tire from one side, leave other wheel/tire mounted. Remove the 2 hex screws.
Start engine, put in 1st gear, rev it up.
Slam on the brakes. Drum will come loose on the one side.
Remount wheel/tire on that side. Remove wheel/tire and hex screws from other side. Repeat.
Remove wheel/tire and both drums will be loose.
You may have to back off the brake shoes to get the drums off.
I usually put a THIN smear of grease on the mating face of the hub once I've done this, to prevent the rust from seizing this again.

Good thinking. ;-)