Water in fuel?

2002 Focus SE

Engine light on. Determined that gas cap was loose, as per owners manual, for an undetermined amount of time. There was some rain and high humidity. Had about 1/4 tank of gas left from a single filling.

The car seems to be labored at idle (stalled once), but runs fine as soon as you press down on the accelerator. I can also hear, what I can only describe as, a "gurgling" noise from the exhaust. The engine light is persistent (hasn't gone off in three days), but the condition is intermittent.

Filled the tank with high octane gasoline and a fuel treatment (dry-gas). Burned about 1/4 tank, but the condition is recurring.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
phantom2112

Take it to a dealer and have them check it out.

Reply to
NoRemorse

but runs fine as

All of this adds up to a major vacuum leak, probably from the vapour recovery system. The gurgling noise would be from this system, not the exhaust. Like NoRemorse said, you need to have it checked at a dealer. The fix should be cheap and easy.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Thanks... didn't even think to look in that direction. Will investigate and post results.

Reply to
phantom2112