'01 Ranger needs slave cyl.

I was just informed that my '01 3.0 5 speed Ranger needs a new slave cylinder and in order to do so, the tranny has to come out so they suggested a new clutch that that time. I have 62K on it, so if they are going to take it out might as well replace it. The quote on the cost about knocked me over: $2200.00! Is that the "going rate"?

Reply to
H-DGuzzi

Shop around, the garage that works on my truck (same truck as yours) quoted me roughly $600.00 parts and labour for the clutch alone, as long as the flywheel looked OK. Your quote sounds like a major con job to me.

Reply to
kenb

I had mine done with clutch in '02 in Vegas, not known for cheap repairs, and it was $600 or so for everything. Truck had around

100k when I decided it needed fixed.

The clutch also worked better than it did when the thing had

30k on it.
Reply to
Scott

hell I used to turn flywheels on a disk lathe using the cutting arm off the drum lathe. Slow speed and a new cutting bit as long as it wasn't loaded with heat spots. Keep track of how much removed and then shim the flywheel or the pedal would never be right.

2 grand is way out of line. 600-800 is more like it, the higher side if it needs a new flywheel.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm feeling a little better knowing that it just might be done for a reasonable amount. (By the way, they did mention that the fly wheel has to be re-surfaced). I had expected $7-800, even a grand, but TWICE that? I don't think so!

Reply to
H-DGuzzi