1982 f150 will not fire cold on the start circuit.

this one is driving me nuts, tried a replacement module, checked the reluctor, checked the ignition switch, all test out okay . After sitting a couple hours it will not fire with the key in the start position, I let off and catch it it on the run circuit to get it started and then it works fine on the start circuit till it cools off. Any ideas? Thanx, John

Reply to
JohnB

Sounds like the clearance on something is too great. When the engine heats up everything expands and closes the gap. Dont just check the component, but the clearances as well. That reluctor you are talking about is required to be a certain distance from the pickup in the distributor, and if its not, the ign module wont get the correct signal, and you wont have fire.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

On 29 Jan 2007 05:19:19 -0800, "JohnB" wrote: Meter the + side of the coil while in the start position - it should read close to

12 volts , then when in the run position it should drop back to 9 volts. The wires connected to the ballast resistor ( ? reluctor? ) go to/from the switch and the + side of the coil, the brown w/pink wire bypasses the resistor when the ignition switch is in the start position and gives a higher voltage to the coil.

Reply to
samstone

What is the battery voltage while cranking?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Is there a 'low brake' indicator on when cranking the starter? It 'looks' to me there's a "kill spark" if that switch is made, which isn't included in the on/run position.

Reply to
samstone