99 Solara will not start on first turn of the key

My 99 Solara will not start with the first turn of the key. Today my wife said she had to turn the key four times. It does not crank at all.

I took it the an auto store and my battery checked out OK, and I had the dealer check it while I was getting my oil changed. the dealer said they checked the charging system and it checked out good.

When I turn the key the dash lights come on, the radio comes on, the check engine light comes on, it just does not crank. Usually on the second try it starts right up. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

You don't hear a click when you try to start it?...if not then you might try (if it's auto trans) while holding the key into start, wiggling the shift lever in 'park' or moving it to 'neutral'. If this works, then see if it'll start reliably in neutral, if so then the 'starter gearshift safety switch' needs attention.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I went out and tried it again. I do hear a click when I try to start it. The second turn it starts in park and neutral. I can immediatley turn it off and it again wil take two turns of the key to start, sometimes three or four. I am confused since both an auto store and the dealership said it checked out fine.

Reply to
Aaron

\ Ok Aaron if the click that you're hearing is fairly loud and is coming from the starter area then the problem is almost for sure poor contacts in the starter solenoid...this is quite common and isn't very expensive...the dealer will quite likely have a kit to fix it, mind you if you're not comfortable taking the starter off etc just get the dealer to do the fix...not too expensive...

It will only get worse (if it IS solenoid contacts) until eventually it won't start at all.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

probably the starter, but might be the actual ign switch .

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful