1990 7.3 diesel problem

I was coming home-climbing 7000 ft pass and my engine started cutting out. However, it was cutting out when I took my foot off the pedal-not when applying fuel. I nursed it home, but because a much snow have just not used it. It's really too cold outside for much troubleshooting.

So here's the current deal. The engine starts fine. BUT....it does not like to idle. I mean it will idle, but if I rev the engine and then take my foot off the pedal it dies. I have just changed the mechanical fuel supply pump. I've also taken it for a test drive and it climbs right up to 65 MPH and stays there running smoothly. But take my foot off the pedal and engine speed drops til it dies.

Also, in reverse, the engine lerches and I have to apply both pedal and brake to make any controlled movement.

If anyone has a bright idea I'm all ears..........which reminds me.....What IS Ross Perot doing lately? LOL!

Thanks

Steve in ice cold Lincoln, MT.

Reply to
dumbneasy

And the problem was........::::::::drum roll please:::::::.....a main electrical connection came loose in the engine compartment.

Thanks for the ideas, though...

Reply to
Steve Hartman