1990 Bronco 5.8 Ignition Problem

Hi
Drove my Bronco to a friends house about a mile away, no problem. Came out after 30 minutes and was unable to start the truck. I put the key in the
ignition, turn it to the start position, the fuel pump makes the noise it makes, but the key doesn't seem to have that feel like it is making contact with whatever it is supposed to make contact with to start (the feel of pushing against a switch). The key doesn't spring back from the start position to the run position.
Next day went back and friend shorted the solenoid with the key in the start position - started the truck first time. He suggested replacing the solenoid which I did, but still no luck. I also replaced the key assembly in the column, with no success. What do I check next? Why am I not feeling spring pressure between run and start positions and why is the key not springing back from start to run positions?
I'd be grateful for any suggestions!
Thanks
Nick

There's a little pot metal actuator rod in the column. The key switch pushes it and it activates the actual contacts down the column. They're prone to breakage. I've bought them at the dealer, but I've also seen them in the Help section at Advance. I'm 99% sure from what you describe that yours is broken.
CJB
Hey Nick! What CJB said. It's a zinc part called an actuator by Ford, and they break in half. A bit of a pain to install, but doable with common tools.
--
Steve Barker
Paola, KS

The other replies are to replace the actuator, but my instinct is that the switch itself it toast. The good news is, the repair activity is the same, or nearly the same.
The Ignition Switch has a spring inside that gives you the "return" feeling that you report as missing. When my linkage parts broke, the switch worked perfectly to Start the truck, but felf odd when attempting to shut it off again.
As another Replay states, the job is a bit of a pain in the ass, but you don't need any special tools. You can fix this at home ...