1995 Ranger XLT

4 cyl. 5 speed. No problem with it, EVER! A/C still works...everything still works. I have replaced nothing on this truck sense it was new. Tires, belts, plugs. That's it. I replaced the original battery last winter. (it still worked but was weak. The odometer started acting up and only works sometimes but that is the only "problem" it has ever had. Has about 150,000 miles on it. Thought I'd post a "good" post instead of a "problem" post. Ironic thing is I bought the truck after a divorce and HATED it. 12 years later it is the best vehicle I or anyone I know has ever had.
Reply to
Rob

You happen to have a very time-tested package there. The 2.3 is a great engine, and is known for durability and longevity. The transmission is likely to give trouble before the engine. Usually it's the other way around with a manual tranny.

Be sure to check the rubber plugs on top of the tranny. Those M5OD's usually fail when the plugs rot and fall out, allowing the transmission lube to leak out. You'd likely not notice till the bearings inside the transmission were shot.

I have a 97 SuperCab 4x2 with the same engine and transmission as you have. Mine has 114k or so on it. My goal is to make it last till at least 250k. It runs as good as new now, so I have a good start.

Good luck,

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with the 3.0L. 112,000mi and still running strong. Bought it brand new with 112mi on it. Only thing done was engine replaced at

7,000 due to faulty camshaft hardening procedure at factory (ford Recall), and head gaskets at 98,000, but only took me a day and $150, and the EGR Pressure Differential Sensor had to be replaced about about 100,000. I am on my 5th set of tires, 3rd tranny drain and fill, and change the oil every 3,000. She runs like a top! Best $15,000 I ever spent. 5yrs after I picked her up, she finally had a clean title. I wouldnt trade her for the world, well cept for maybe an F-350 CC dually w/6.0 PSD.. LOL oh and it has to have a 6spd trans.. LOL

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Reply to
djdave

Look no farther. Mine has never leaked.

Reply to
Rob

I've never even had the front end aligned. 4th set of tires, about ready for a fifth set. All four are evenly worn.

Reply to
Rob

Wearing out tires in 30,000 miles is not what I would say is good, unless your putting something like Sears cheap Guardsmen tires or some similar low end tire.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I'm getting around 40,000 on not so expensive tires.

Reply to
Rob

That's not quite so bad then.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

My 97 hasn't either.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

My 95 Ranger has never leaked PS fluid. It does have a slight seapage around the front main seal which is a pain to get to without removing the engine or the radiator.

Other than that, I changed the timing belt, regular filter and fluid changes. Changed the plugs 2 times, wires once and took me a looong time to figure out my DPFE was bad. Ran fine anyway though.

Reply to
The Cross-eyed Barber

145,000 miles is about the time my timing belt broke, stranding the truck and taking out a $180 crankshaft position sensor when it went.

The belt WILL BREAK if you haven't replaced it.

Reply to
Scott

Those Rangers, you gotta love 'em. I got my '91 XLT used about 4 years ago from my brother in law. The usual gaggle of brakes, tune ups oil and filters ect but other wise according to my BIL it has 236,000 miles on it and it runs great and still gets 26 MPG. No plans to trade it out.

Reply to
Fredzo