OOH my aching gears!

I'm helping someone learn to drive a stick. They caught on pretty quick, but not without a couple gear grinds. Maybe one or twice a year, I'll miss a shift when in a hurry. I wonder if I should if I should check the pan for metal filings and change the trans oil before regular maintenance. There is no problem, just want to be safe. Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnR66

It certainly wouldn't hurt. Depending on how hard and how many times the gears ground, you could possibly have some shavings in there. Might as well not take a chance and change it before they get into the bearings. HD

Reply to
HoDad

I *used* to let my grandkids shift the 4-speed in the F-150. It was a good tranny, but the kids always missed third gear........

After a few months, that gear was always grinding. A bit later, a re-build. The only thing wore was a bearing and a chipped gear...still $750 is real money.

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^