2002 Ranger - code reader will not read codes

2002 Ford Ranger 3.0l V6

Engine warning lamp is [on]. I tried two OBD-II readers, neither seemed to recognize that it was plugged in to the connector, (under the dash, driver's side)

According to an OBD-II schematic I located, ping #16 should show 12v. I checked that with my voltage tester, and it read nothing - no voltage. Checked with engine running, engine off, and ignition switch to [on].

Any ideas on this? Bad connector? Could I jumper 12v to pin #16 in order to get the reader to work?

Thanks.

Reply to
Term Limits Now

You have a bad fuse. It should be a 20a one which also powers an accessory port. Chances are that a 12v plug-in caused the fuse to blow.

Reply to
Term Limits Now

If it is that, one has to wonder what idiot engineer designed that system.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:03:37 +0000, Whitelightning rearranged some electrons to say:

You meant, of course, the accountant who asked the engineer to cut 50 cents from the cost of his design. Doesn't sound like much until you multiply it by a million vehicles.

Reply to
david

Curious as to why you think the design is idiotic.

Seems rather intuitive to me; no power to the diagnostic connector, check for power at the cigarette lighter/accessory plug. No power at either, check common fuse.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

cuda, I was thinking something else, like fuse blows and then engine dies., If all it does is power diagnostic then I retreat from my statement. Of course if you dont know the fuse feeds both the power outlet and diagnostic connector than you dont intuitively know to check the fuse, and that brings up the next question, does the fuse cover list the diagnostic connector, or the owners manual?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning