1999 Ranger Check Engine Light

Seems like I have a significant OBD-II failure on my 1999 Ranger. The Check Engine Light is on, but I can't get my code scanner to link. I checked the fuse for the OBD-II connector and it is good. Tried a different scanner, no better luck. Any suggestions on where to go next?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Did you turn the key to RUN?

The key has to be in the RUN position to get the codes out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes. I even tried the scanner on a different Ford truck.. No trouble linking.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Check the fuse with a test light or a continuity meter. Often a fuse will break and not work, but not "look" blown. You may also want to remove to fuse and make sure the socket is tight. Loose fuses can corrode and not make a good connection.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

I actually replaced the fuse with a new one. Interestingly, my scanner turns on when I switch the truck to run, it just won't link and download trouble codes. In other words, the scanner is getting power fromt the OBDII port, but it can't seem to establish communications. Several years back I know the port worked. Can't figure out what is happening now.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The scanner should turn on as soon as it is plugged in, regardless of key position. The ODBII connector specifications says the power terminal is 'battery' not 'ignition'. Personally, I'd suggest a multimeter and check the ODBII power pin for actual live power.

Reply to
PeterD

Possible corrosion on the terminals? It is 20 years old, and could become corroded due to age.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

The computer itself could be toast ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 15:15:52 -0500, SC Tom rearranged some electrons to say:

Are you sure about that?

Reply to
david

Not any more :-) Math was always my best subject, but the years must be catching up. I know they seem to go by faster the older I get :-(

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Cat years, perhaps?