93 Tercel starting problem

I've got a 1993 Tercel, about 120 kms. It's been a great little car, but over that last few months it's developed a problem. Sometimes when I turn the key to start it, the engine doesn't turn over, I just hear a click. The dashboard lights and radio come on as normal. Usually the second time I turn the key it starts right up.

This generally only happens when the car has been sitting over night. During the day driving around it starts up every time. It seems to have been happening more now that the weather has gotten colder.

I dropped it off for my mechanic to look at, but of course it started up fine while he had it.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
eejit

Starter contacts are shot. You must remove the starter & have them replaced. The parts ( copper contacts ) are very cheap but labor to remove starter & replace the contacts of course might add up, unless you are able to remove it yourself. You can google a search on this subject yourself but a very common problem in these vehicles. Just did it on my '92 last year. Good luck. dc

Reply to
doncee

Thanks dc, for the quick response. Any idea what sort of time frame I've got before it won't start at all?

eejit

Reply to
eejit

eejit wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No idea how long but at least you have been warned. If you wait too long you are risking a total no start situation. I read an earlier post from someone that it took him 4 hours & 20 bucks american to do this on his '99 corolla so at least you have an idea how long\much it would take doing it yourself. I would get it done as soon as possible, now that you know what you are dealing with. Good luck dc

Reply to
doncee

thanks again dc

Reply to
eejit

Any day now!

Reply to
Hachiroku

And especially if you've stopped on a dark back road because you just GOTTA take a leak even though it's pissing down rain, and by habit you switched the ignition off

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Ever tell you about the time under just such conditions I pissed on an Electric fence?

Reply to
Hachiroku

snip

Bet you learned a whole string of new swear words, eh?

Anyway, beats pissing on a rattler I'd think :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman