806 diesel starting problem

My 806 wont start properly in the morning I have to turn it over for ages before it will catch. It seemed like the heater plugs were gone but the garage says they are working and there is fuel there too. Once I get it going it?s fine for the rest of the day. Any suggestions? The engine is the 1.9 turbo but pre-Hdi

Reply to
vespags150vs4

archive:

Hi,

does it splutter, smoke etc as its trying to start, or just seem like nothings happening at all until it finally fires normally ? Is your battery suspect ? does it turn over slowly ?

Your options are:

Fuel supply - eg air leak, faulty stop solenoid etc Battery - Poor battery giving slow cranking, reduced glow plug current Glow plug relay - could be high resistance contacts etc. Engine - poor compression

Depending on how the engine behaves as it tries to start, you can make a better guess at where to look first. Have you tried anything like ;

Manually priming the fuel system before starting charging the battery overnight or at least for a few hours before starting - or getting a jump start Doing a few glow plug cycles before starting

Cheers Craig

Reply to
fairlyclueless