7.3 PSD while idling it will start to miss then it will start to knock until it dies

I have a 2002 F350 with 90,000 miles on the frame, but the engine was replaced at 75,000. That was a nightmare. What they ended up replacing was the short block and both heads. Anyway I got the truck back, but it never seemed to run quite as nice as before, but nothing I could put my finger on. About a month ago it started missing then knocking. I lose a lot of power and if I give it the gas I get a little white smoke. I find that if I take it easy on it the knocking will stop after a few miles. If I drive a little more the power comes back as well. "SOMETIMES" sometime it runs fine other time it won't get better. I took it to the shop and they told me they didn't get any codes, and suggested I get a new battery. I already new I had a shorted battery and it was disconnected from the system. They told me it needed both batteries to run right. I bought a new battery and it still does the same thing. The book that comes with the truck is a joke, and I just don't want to take it back to the shop, for more bull. I need to get a good manual and do some reading. I was hoping someone out there has had the same problem. I'm a Technician and have worked on many different pieces of equipment in my time, but this is my first diesel.

Thank you

Dennis B

Reply to
Safety man

water in the fuel.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

or bad injectors. I can't believe they told you that about the battery. It's no wonder people think mechanics are thieves. Some of them are.

Steve Barker

Reply to
Safety man