78 F100 info needed please

I have a chance to buy a 78 F100. The body looks to be in very good condition. It runs good also, of course I won't fully know that until I buy it and drive it for a while. It's a stick shift and the faded blue paint appears to be original. I'm sure it will need some work but at $600 that's to be expected. This seems to be a pretty good deal. I'm wondering if there is a web site that has specs. for a truck like this. Some of my questions are... What is the difference between a F100 and an F150?... It has a V8 but I don't know what size, what would be a likely size? What is the tonnage rating for an F100? Are parts easy to find? Does this sound like a good deal? What is the difference between alt.ford.trucks and alt.trucks.ford?etc. etc. Thanks for any help.

xyz

Reply to
xyz

Don't have a name? :(

Anyway, sounds like a good deal to me! :)

Likely V8? My guess is for a 302 but there's no use in a guess. :/

Does "stick shift" automatically mean "on the floor" or could that still be a "column shift"? Either way, which is it?

From what I've read the difference in a F100 and a F150 is the gross vehicle weight but they are both still considered half-ton pickups.

They beefed up their half-ton rear axles a bit so they have different rear axles for the two.

Not sure about the rear springs anymore but "back when" I check a couple pickups out seems like I could see and measured a difference in the rear springs. Seems like they were wider by 5/16" but man it's a been a bunch of years ago. :) Besides "Ford never learned how to make the same part twice" according to my chevy pickup friends. ;)

That's it, as far as I know, oh yeah and the little name plate. ;)

If you get it, climb under there and clean off the metal tags then write down all the numbers and letters that's on the transmission and rear axle tags and post them here. :)

And wouldn't hurt to post the vehicle indentification plate too but use X's for the last 3 or 4 digits (like they do guns).

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

I looked at it again today and tried to give it a test drive. It's at one of those "Donate your car charity lots". When I said it ran good that was on the word of my Cousin who first discovered it. Today was the first time I started it up. It started up pretty easy and it sounded real good. The guy at the lot was a little reluctant to let me take it on the streets because, as he put it "Sometimes the gears stick" I decided to give it a try around the lot and found out what he meant. Getting it into first wasn't too bad but I couldn't get it to go into reverse or neutral after that. I don't know about the rest of the gears because before long I was spinning on the ice and couldn't get up the slight incline I was on. Reverse would have solved the problem but that wasn't happening. It did go into Reverse though before I tried going forward. It seems like something is binding or out of alignment. It seemed like the gears were OK, if you could get the stick to go into the correct position. The guy at the lot couldn't get it out of first either. We left it in the middle of the lot on the ice. It's a 304 and the shifter is on the floor. Other than that problem it sounded real good. Does it sound like this is some kind of adjustment problem or do you think it's something more serious with the Transmission?

Thanks again

Reply to
xyz

$600 for a '78 stick-shift ... sounds like a nice toy and good for "showing off" to me :-). (I like stick-shifts, and I think the older trucks generally look better than newer ones though part of that is their uniqueness due to being old) I'd enjoy having one of those as a "spare" to work/learn on and drive in nice weather. (unlike Alvin, I only get non-destructive weather for not even half of the year :-/)

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Reply to